[Librem-5-dev] Kernel and ATF update for devkits

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Oct 31 12:31:39 PDT 2019

On 10/31/19 2:33 PM, Guido Günther via Librem-5-dev wrote:
> Hi,
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 08:21:11AM -0700, Angus Ainslie via Librem-5-dev wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We've had to introduce an ATF ( ARM Trusted firmware ) update in
>> preparation for some devfreq work in the kernel. This is also the
>> A heads up that there will be a lockstep kernel and mesa upgrade that
>> will be coming down soon to backport softpin to the 5.3 kernel.
>
> mesa 19.2-rc4 is now available in the ci archives and this requires the
> above kernel/uboot upgrade. Note that updating the kernel to 5.3 first
> (and then mesa) is fine since the current kernels supports both user
> space interfaces to cope with mesa 18.3 and 19.2.
>
> We'll drop the support for the older mesa interface in 5.4. This should
> hopefully be the only incompatible user space abi change on the mesa
> side since we're now using what's in the upstream kernel and upstream
> mesa:

I tried an Oct 30 dev kit image (not sure if that has the pieces
mentioned above) and it seems to have improved quite a bit from the last
one I looked at... Wifi was up even at 5GHz, WPA passphrase settings
were correctly sticky and it came back up on reboot, the browser did not
crash, although it got a juddery scrolling thing after a while.  I
turned off "smooth scrolling" in the browser and it seemed to be able to
follow scrolling on the touchscreen a bit better. It was only going to
char my hand a bit if I touched the heatsink instead of setting my arm
on fire.  Considering this is on a FOSS GPU stack, it's impressive.

With basic operation much better the next set of annoyances are all up a
level from last time.  It couldn't play any youtube videos, there was no
obvious way to play audio (maybe these just need extra things installed)
the audio volume buttons didn't give any UI (while I know gnome can do
it), the adblock in the browser didn't seem effective; AFAIK there's no
way to use addons like uBlock Origin.  Otherwise stuff was basically
wanting to work.

Anyway, it's definitely all going in a good direction, nice work!

-Andy