[Librem-5-dev] Kernel and ATF update for devkits

Guido Günther guido.gunther at puri.sm
Thu Oct 31 07:33:31 PDT 2019

Hi,
On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 08:21:11AM -0700, Angus Ainslie via Librem-5-dev wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We've had to introduce an ATF ( ARM Trusted firmware ) update in
> preparation for some devfreq work in the kernel. This is also the
> unified kernel that will be running on the phone when you get it. What
> this means is that you will need to update your kernel and u-boot in
> lockstep or flash a full image. The full images can be installed via
> uuu[1] using the librem5-devkit-flash-image script[2] and is the
> simplest way to update your devkit.
>
> If you want to keep your rootfs intact instead of the full image flash
> above, upgrade the kernel and u-boot as outlined below.
>
> The kernel update is simply a matter of installing the deb package with
> "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" or downloading [3] it and installing
> it directly using "dpkg -i".  Do this first before updating u-boot.
>
> U-boot is a little trickier but there are uuu scripts to facilitate the
> update. First you need to install uuu [1] and then clone the
> librem5-devkit-tools repo[4]. cd to the librem5-devkit-tools directory
> then copy the devkit u-boot artifacts [5] into the files sub-directory,
> put the devkit into serial download mode and run  "uuu
> uuu_scripts/u-boot_flash_librem5_devkit". Once that completes you should
> be able to set the board to eMMC boot and you'll have the new kernel.
>
> A heads up that there will be a lockstep kernel and mesa upgrade that
> will be coming down soon to backport softpin to the 5.3 kernel.

mesa 19.2-rc4 is now available in the ci archives and this requires the
above kernel/uboot upgrade. Note that updating the kernel to 5.3 first
(and then mesa) is fine since the current kernels supports both user
space interfaces to cope with mesa 18.3 and 19.2.

We'll drop the support for the older mesa interface in 5.4. This should
hopefully be the only incompatible user space abi change on the mesa
side since we're now using what's in the upstream kernel and upstream
mesa:

  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/merge_requests/1559
  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=088880ddc0b20086b71bb87b805fb63ff07c35f2

Cheers,