[Librem-5-dev] Librem5 Devkit and `apt-get dist-uprade` notice

Heather Ellsworth heather.ellsworth at puri.sm
Wed Jun 5 08:25:31 PDT 2019

Hi Guido,

On 6/5/19 6:06 AM, Guido Günther via Librem-5-dev wrote:
> Hi,
> in order to prepare for using for 5.x kernels by default we adjusted the
> device tree file names for the 4.18 kernel to match the linux-next
> ones. So we now ship both imx8mq-librem5-devkit.dtb and librem5-evk.dtb
> with identical content. On top of that we updated flash-kernel to look
> for new imx8mq-librem5-devkit.dtb name as well.
>
> You will not notice if you update by flashing new images, however if you
> update via
>
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> flash-kernel will get updated and your currently installed kernel package
> might not yet have the imx8mq-librem5-devkit.dtb which makes
> flash-kernel fail. In order to avoid that *either*:
>
> 1.) flash a new image
> 2.) grab a newer kernel from
>
>   https://arm01.puri.sm/job/Kernel_builds/job/kernel_devkit_linux-emcraft_imx8-4.18-wip/

This kernel is already in the latest 4.18 build:
https://arm01.puri.sm/job/Images/job/Image%20Build/1642/

>   and install that before doing the dist-upgrade.
> 3.) Copy your currently used device tree to
>     /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs/imx8mq-librem5-devkit.dtb
>     before doing the dist-upgrade.

/etc/flash-kernel/dtbs/ only contained README.dtbs so
imx8mq-librem5-devkit.dtb was not found and I didn't copy my current DT.
However, after going through all of these steps, a find command reveals
that it is in 2 places:

/usr/lib/linux-image-4.18.11-g0c573537/freescale/imx8mq-librem5-devkit.dtb
/boot/dtbs/4.18.11-g0c573537/imx8mq-librem5-devkit.dtb

The dist-upgrade went just fine and I rebooted. So this just primes my
devkit for a future dist-upgrade to a 5.X kernel, is that right?

> Cheers,
>  -- Guido

Cheers,
Heather