[Librem-5-dev] applications using native debs

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Tue Jun 4 10:36:22 PDT 2019

Hi,
On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 07:02:28PM +0300, rinigus via Librem-5-dev wrote:

> > One of the great advantages of using Debian packages (debs) is that it
> > can build packages and their dependencies together. In fact, you are
> > required to specify package dependencies in various control fields in
> > the pacakge metadata so that you can build with the Debian tools on
> > actual hardware without a connection to the internet. This is a
> > powerful way to keep the supply chain clean, and to create a
> > reproducible build. It is a requirement for getting your package into
> > Debian proper (and for our CI and repository control system called
> > Laniakea).
> >

> so far, I used gbp buildpackage together with Cowbuilder. However, I cannot
> figure out how I am expected to build a package that would depend on
> another package which is not in the distribution. In my case: qml mapboxgl
> would depend on mapboxgl, but the latter is also build locally. this is
> something that OBS makes rather simple through the use of the repositories
> which are served from the build farm directly.

You can either just modify your chroots /etc/apt/sources.list in
/var/cache/pbuilder or (more elegeantly) do this using a hook similar to
/usr/share/doc/pbuilder/examples/D20addnonfree . You'd just add a local
file based repository there like

   deb [trusted=yes] file:/home/apt/debian .

(see sources.list(5)) which you bind mount into your cowbuilder chroot
using pbuilder's --bindmount option.

The metadate needed can be created using apt-ftparchive, see e.g.

    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87130/how-to-quickly-create-a-local-apt-repository-for-random-packages-using-a-debian

Cheers
 -- Guido