[Librem-5-dev] devkit powers on but won't boot -- also other NXP Quad boards?

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Wed Jul 10 07:45:44 PDT 2019

On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 14:01 -0600, Angus Ainslie via Librem-5-dev
wrote:
>     Hi,
>

>     On 7/9/19 10:49 AM, Jeremiah C. Foster
>       via Librem-5-dev wrote:
>

> >       On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 12:02 -0400, Jeremiah C. Foster via
> >         Librem-5-dev wrote:

> >       I've ordered headers from Digikey and am going to test a
> >         quick and dirty approach to see if I can get up and running
> >         again.
> >

>     I'm not sure what image you've tested with but I just flashed
>       this one and it boots no problem
>
>     https://arm01.puri.sm/job/Images/job/Image%20Build/1794/

I'll download and flash, thanks!
>     If your devkit doesn't boot with this then we'll need to use the
>       debug header to figure it out.

Yeppers.
>     Either one of these cables
>

> https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/ftdi-future-technology-devices-international-ltd/TTL-232R-3V3/768-1015-ND/1836393
>

> https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/ftdi-future-technology-devices-international-ltd/TTL-232R-5V/768-1028-ND/2003493

I actually already have one of those! :-)
>     And one of these headers should get you going
>

> https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/3-644457-6/A30888-ND/698376
>
> https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/640452-6/A1913-ND/108979
>     Digikey has overnight shipping to most of the states so you
>       should be up and running tomorrow.

I ordered this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/PREC006SAAN-RC/S1012EC-06-ND/2774848
It hasn't arrived yet but I placed the order Friday, so expecting them
today.

> >       In the meantime I'd like to continue to be able to help Todd
> >         test and am thinking about getting another iMX8 quad
> > device. I
> >         wonder what people think about this one;
> >       https://www.solid-run.com/product/SRMX8QDW00D03GE008V20C0/
> >         ?
> >

> >       This is the same CPU and the same SoM I believe as our phone
> >         so it seems appropriate. It obviously does not have a
> > screen but
> >         I have a 7 HDMI touch screen that I believe I can use with
> > this.
> >         This may turn out to be an interesting way to test
> > convergence
> >         or adaptive applications since the screen is a different
> > size
> >         from the phone.
> >

> >       What do others think?
> >

>     I think adding yet another device to our testing won't really
>       help. Either the bugs will be devkit specific or they will be
>       iu/userland/rootfs bugs. The second class of testing could
> largely
>       be done with the qemu images.

Okay, good point. That's helpful.
Cheers,