[Librem-5-dev] Maps software

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:52:41 PST 2018

Hi,

Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server are now available at Flathub. Packages are
available for all supported architectures, which should mean that they are
dev-kits ready, assuming that the dev-kits support flatpak.

What works? From the top of my head, most should work with the full
functionality of Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server. This includes online and
offline navigation with voice prompts (English), search, and exploring the
maps.

There are few issues to be resolved, though. First, since current Qt uses
geoclue 0.12.99, I have not tuned flatpak for it. As a result, current
location is inaccessible for Pure Maps. With Qt 5.12, geoclue2 support
should arrive and then I can add corresponding permissions to the flatpak
as well.

Second, I have not injected any online services API keys in this package of
Pure Maps. However, interested users can add their own keys after
registration with the corresponding online provider. Keys were not injected
since we are running relatively close to the max number of calls for one of
the main providers already and I didn't want to induce any issues by
expanding number of users. We will have to discuss how to proceed with the
keys in future.

Third, OSM Scout Server is not supporting systemd socket activation in this
format. But it is planned to provide OSM Scout Server as a native package
anyway, so this would be resolved via that.

In sum, as far as I understand, its now a race between Qt 5.12 platform at
Flathub and dev kits - whether you will be able to use Pure Maps for
navigation from day zero or you would have to wait few weeks after
receiving the kit.

As for steps from now, all has to be polished and adjusted, for L5 as well
as other platforms.

Cheers,

Rinigus