[Librem-5-dev] Building and testing your own kernel

Guido Günther guido.gunther at puri.sm
Fri Dec 28 00:48:24 PST 2018

Hi,
On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:04:16AM +0800, Andy Green via Librem-5-dev wrote:

> On 28/12/2018 07:18, David Boddie via Librem-5-dev wrote:
> > On Thu Dec 27 03:43:39 PST 2018, Dorota Czaplejewicz wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Andy,
> > >
> > > thank you for doing that work. We're normally building the kernel
> > > using image-builder [0], and we're currently using .debs for the
> > > kernel.
> >
> > Thanks, Andy!
> >
> > > I feel like this information belongs on some wiki, but we don't
> > > have one set up yet. I've started putting random useful info on
> > > my own page [1]. David, do you have any ideas?
> >
> > I have been using my fork of the documentation for stashing notes
> > about things:
> > https://source.puri.sm/david.boddie/developer.puri.sm/wikis/home
> >
> > We could just enable the wiki for the documentation:
> > https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm/wikis/home
> >
> > Andy, does that sound like it might be a useful place for you to
> > put stuff? We could use it as a staging area for things that
> > should end up in the documentation.
>
> Yes I think you're going to need the wiki.  Many developers will stay
> on-piste and just follow the blessed, existing flow, but part of the whole
> idea is some won't.  Then it will get expensive doing 1:1 chat for every
> detail needed to get them started.
>
> Information rots quickly but even so it usually doesn't all rot at the same
> rate and is worth keeping for a while.  At least information in the wiki
> that is rotting can be updated by others when they see it's out of date,
> which is harder to do for "documentation".
>
> I cloned it, added an article .md by hand, and registered my ssh pubkey with
> the site, but I can't push it back.
>
> $ git push ssh://warmcat@source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm.wiki.git
> +master:master
> warmcat at source.puri.sm's password:

For changes to the official docs (which you're trying to push directly
to when using the above URL) you want to fork the repo first

     https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm/forks/new

to get your own copy. If you then push changes to that repo on a branch
different than master gitlab will show you an URL to create a merge
request. More details are here:

     https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/gitlab-basics/add-merge-request.html

The upside is that the CI tests run on the MRs right away making sure
the sphinx docs still build correctly.

Cheers,
 -- Guido