[Librem-5-dev] Librem5 Dev Kit - Quick Start

Dorota Czaplejewicz dorota.czaplejewicz at puri.sm
Mon Dec 24 12:13:31 PST 2018

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 18:32:42 +0000
David Philipe Gil <davidpgil at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Dorota, I did read those instructions and it does not seem obvious to me how to use the Dev Kit. Ideally, I would like to connect it to an HDMI monitor and use the Dev kit like a computer. Is this possible as of yet?
>
> Would you explain how this device is intended to be used? I think I am just not clear on what the expected workflow is. I was hoping to run my software and see it running on the Librem5 via a monitor.

At the moment, we're working on instructions on how to get HDMI working reliably for everyone, so you have to be patient. You can ask around on the Matrix channel, where that kind of info seems to be spreading at the moment.

Currently, you can reliably connect to your dev kit via SSH and serial console. There are multiple possible workflows with this device. It's designed, among many things, for:

- kernel development
- Wayland development
- porting other OS
- application development
- low level API development
- interfacing with the voice modem
- ???

That's a lot, and it's crucial to remember that we're focusing on making this work, and the documentation can lag behind. At the moment, we don't have the workflows described (or even all of them worked out, only a few of us received the dev kits so far), but as one of the first people to get one, you are in position to help us establish the workflows. I encourage you to contribute to the documentation:

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm/

by filing issues describing things you'd like to see.

Best,
Dorota