[Librem-5-dev] W49: PureOS team report

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah.foster at puri.sm
Tue Dec 8 06:59:00 PST 2020

Hi,

I'm endeavoring to put together a weekly report for the PureOS folks.
Adrian is already sending in his own weekly reports as you can see,
I'll try and round up other significant work done in PureOS including
my own! :-)

As you may know, we're working to create essentially another PureOS
distro in our repositories for the Librem 5. There is a lot of work
being done there by Matthias, Guido, and myself to determine correct
version numbers of packages, naming, where to put the packages, the
build process, etc. Much of this work is ongoing.

I've been working a bit with building images for PureOS, specifically
I've built a few container images that we use in our Gitlab registry to
use as a build environment. Here they are;
https://hub.docker.com/orgs/pureos/repositories

- Amber is the stable x86 release, useful for backporting packages from
Byzantium to the Librem 13 / 15

- Byzantium is the rolling x86 release used by the Librem Mini and the
upcoming Librem 14. (This email is being written on the Librem Mini
running Byzantium and it is quite an amazing machine, incredibly useful
for everyday work.)

- There are two ARM64 images amber-arm64 and byzantium-arm64. These are
for developing software on platforms that run ARM CPUs. Currently the
Librem 5 is our only ARM platform.

The first two images are built nightly and uploaded if there are
changes. The last one is a WIP and is going through some changes but is
useful to have if you want to test if a given package or software will
work on the Librem 5.

Matthias is working on (among other things) the weirdness in metadata
that makes Debian's iceweasel show up where firefox is wanted.

Feedback and questions most welcome. :-)

Cheers,

Jeremiah