From jeremiah.foster at puri.sm Tue Dec 8 06:59:00 2020 From: jeremiah.foster at puri.sm (Jeremiah C. Foster) Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 09:59:00 -0500 Subject: [Librem-5-dev] W49: PureOS team report Message-ID: Hi, I'm endeavoring to put together a weekly report for the PureOS folks. Adrian is already sending in his own weekly reports as you can see, I'll try and round up other significant work done in PureOS including my own! :-) As you may know, we're working to create essentially another PureOS distro in our repositories for the Librem 5. There is a lot of work being done there by Matthias, Guido, and myself to determine correct version numbers of packages, naming, where to put the packages, the build process, etc. Much of this work is ongoing. I've been working a bit with building images for PureOS, specifically I've built a few container images that we use in our Gitlab registry to use as a build environment. Here they are; https://hub.docker.com/orgs/pureos/repositories - Amber is the stable x86 release, useful for backporting packages from Byzantium to the Librem 13 / 15 - Byzantium is the rolling x86 release used by the Librem Mini and the upcoming Librem 14. (This email is being written on the Librem Mini running Byzantium and it is quite an amazing machine, incredibly useful for everyday work.) - There are two ARM64 images amber-arm64 and byzantium-arm64. These are for developing software on platforms that run ARM CPUs. Currently the Librem 5 is our only ARM platform. The first two images are built nightly and uploaded if there are changes. The last one is a WIP and is going through some changes but is useful to have if you want to test if a given package or software will work on the Librem 5. Matthias is working on (among other things) the weirdness in metadata that makes Debian's iceweasel show up where firefox is wanted. Feedback and questions most welcome. :-) Cheers, Jeremiah From jeremiah.foster at puri.sm Thu Dec 10 16:47:26 2020 From: jeremiah.foster at puri.sm (Jeremiah C. Foster) Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 19:47:26 -0500 Subject: [Librem-5-dev] We don't need no stinking badges! Wait, yes we do. Message-ID: <42d729188eae0bed5a9775139d8934dab557efcc.camel@puri.sm> Hi, There's been some amazing work being done in the PureOS store to include metadata for applications. Not only from a design standpoint but also from Free Desktop specification standpoint thanks to Matthias' work upstream. As we work to implement the badges for the metadata we should likely come up with some badges for categories beyond adaptive or age appropriate. Todd proposed a category that would include sensors and unique identifiers. This might be a way to inform users that specific, personally identifying information is used or specific sensors are being used in a given app. This way, the user may want to disable the app or not use it in the first place.  One example that comes to mind is a COVID 19 tracing app. At a high level, these apps work via bluetooth to determine if there are other bluetooth devices nearby. If they encounter a device that has been identified as belonging to someone who tests positive for COVID 19, you will get a notification to your device. Perhaps we want to ensure users know about any unique identification information that such an app might reveal? Is notification that a given app uses a given sensor sufficient? What about MAC address, IMEI number, phone number and other unique identifiers? Is it wise to have a "badge" for this class of app that uses certain sensors and unique ids and can we add it to our current badging scheme? Cheers, Jeremiah