[Librem-5-dev] Kernel and ATF update for devkits

Angus Ainslie angus.ainslie at puri.sm
Fri Nov 1 09:44:56 PDT 2019

Hi Andy,

On 2019-10-31 12:31 p.m., Andy Green via Librem-5-dev wrote:

> On 10/31/19 2:33 PM, Guido Günther via Librem-5-dev wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 08:21:11AM -0700, Angus Ainslie via
>> Librem-5-dev wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> We've had to introduce an ATF ( ARM Trusted firmware ) update in
>>> preparation for some devfreq work in the kernel. This is also the
>>> A heads up that there will be a lockstep kernel and mesa upgrade that
>>> will be coming down soon to backport softpin to the 5.3 kernel.
>>
>> mesa 19.2-rc4 is now available in the ci archives and this requires the
>> above kernel/uboot upgrade. Note that updating the kernel to 5.3 first
>> (and then mesa) is fine since the current kernels supports both user
>> space interfaces to cope with mesa 18.3 and 19.2.
>>
>> We'll drop the support for the older mesa interface in 5.4. This should
>> hopefully be the only incompatible user space abi change on the mesa
>> side since we're now using what's in the upstream kernel and upstream
>> mesa:
>
> I tried an Oct 30 dev kit image (not sure if that has the pieces
> mentioned above) and it seems to have improved quite a bit from the
> last one I looked at... Wifi was up even at 5GHz, WPA passphrase
> settings were correctly sticky and it came back up on reboot, the
> browser did not crash, although it got a juddery scrolling thing after
> a while.  I turned off "smooth scrolling" in the browser and it seemed
> to be able to follow scrolling on the touchscreen a bit better. It was
> only going to char my hand a bit if I touched the heatsink instead of
> setting my arm on fire.  Considering this is on a FOSS GPU stack, it's
> impressive.

You can get some improvement for heat issues by trying out the busfreq
kernel. For the devkit it will only clock the DDR freq down to 166MHz
but that does give you some power savings ( and heat savings ) from the
800MHz default.

https://arm01.puri.sm/job/manual/job/busfreq/job/librem5-busfreq-kernel_build/

As the busfreq kernel is dependent on ATF changes either flash u-boot as
well or upgrade the entire image.

https://arm01.puri.sm/job/manual/job/busfreq/job/Image%20Build%20-%20devkit%20-%20busfreq/

With the kernel above it is also possible to upgrade the Redpine
firmware and get bluetooth ( or at least partial ) support.

To upgrade the Redpine firmware.

1) blacklist the redpine_sido driver in /etc/modprobe.d/librem5-devkit.conf

2) reboot

3) from the firmware tarball copy RS9116 bluetooth firmware to /lib/firmware

tar -xf rsi_upgrade*.tar
tar -xf rsi_firmware*.tar
cp RS9116_NLINK_WLAN_BT_IMAGE.HW1_2.rps /lib/firmware/RS9116_NLINK_WLAN_BT_IMAGE.rps

4) Load the out of tree modules and they will perform the upgrade

modprobe bluetooth
modprobe cfg80211
modprobe mac80211
modprobe rfkill

insmod ./rsi_91x.ko dev_oper_mode=13 rsi_zone_enabled=1
insmod ./rsi_sdio.ko

5) remove the blacklist and firmware and reboot

rm /lib/firmware/RS9116_NLINK_WLAN_BT_IMAGE.rps

Looking forward to feedback if you try any of these out.

> With basic operation much better the next set of annoyances are all up
> a level from last time.  It couldn't play any youtube videos, there
> was no obvious way to play audio (maybe these just need extra things
> installed) the audio volume buttons didn't give any UI (while I know
> gnome can do it), the adblock in the browser didn't seem effective;
> AFAIK there's no way to use addons like uBlock Origin.  Otherwise
> stuff was basically wanting to work.
>
> Anyway, it's definitely all going in a good direction, nice work!

Thanks for the feedback

Angus