[Librem-5-dev] applications using native debs

David Boddie david.boddie at puri.sm
Fri May 24 12:43:46 PDT 2019

On Fri, 24 May 2019 20:57:11 +0300, rinigus wrote:

> while Flatpak would probably work for most of the applications, we may need
> once in a while to build applications with DEBs for L5. Examples include
> testing, distribution of applications that are not matching Flatpak
> restrictions, and maybe some other reasons. Right now, I am looking for it
> to be able to distribute maps software for testing and distinguish issues
> coming from flatpak packaging - something I cannot rule out.

What kind of issues are you thinking of?

> I wonder whether we have any kind of build system that can be used now for
> building "extra" deb packages that could run on L5/devkit? For Sailfish, we
> have OBS that allows to compile complicated projects and distribute them
> through its internal repositories.

I don't know much about the Sailfish ecosystem, though I have heard of OBS.
What kind of QA procedure is in place around this distribution system to
ensure that the packages that get built are trusted? Do they become officially
"blessed" packages, or is it just a convenient way of running the package
building process to make third party packages for unofficial distribution or
sideloading, like Personal Package Archives (PPA) with Ubuntu?

Regards,

David