[Librem-5-dev] early feedback: issues encountered while running maps applications

guido.gunther at puri.sm guido.gunther at puri.sm
Tue Jun 25 01:08:35 PDT 2019

Hi,

> I am writing up results of testing Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server on QEMU
> and Devkit (by David Boddie). This is to make sure that the issues we
> encountered would not be lost and, hopefully, through filing them help to
> polish L5 before launch.

Thanks. I've skipped some of your questions that were unclear to me. David
might be able to help since he did the testing if I read this correctly.

On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 10:59:08PM +0300, rinigus via Librem-5-dev wrote:
[..snip..]
> # Pure Maps does not run on Devkit
>
> Looks like there are some rendering issues with running OpenGL-accelerated
> maps application. Pure Maps shows the maps using Mapbox GL Native framework
> which is tailored towards usage of hardware acceleration. Its developed for
> Android, iOS, Qt (that's the one which is used). According to David, Pure
> Maps did not crash, but nothing was displayed.

Are you using a patched runtime with our GC7000 mesa patches? If not there will
be rendering issues. There's lots of stuff upstream already but some
core parts are missing that are required for proper texture
rendering. You should see a notable difference between pure maps
as flatpak and pure maps built natively on the devkit / qemu image. If
not please let me know.

> On QEMU, Pure Maps works, but is remarkably slow. On QEMU, I am frequently
> getting rootston running 65% CPU with Pure Maps 35% while updating maps for
> rather long period of time. Not sure what to make out of it.
>
> I am not aware of any other app that would use OpenGL and that could be
> used for testing.
>
> Where should I file this issue? Can someone test on Devkit and confirm/deny
> the issue?

I've filed

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/Apps_Issues/issues/135

since this comes up here and there and i think there was no bug for it yet.

[..snip..]

> # Apps missing icons in overview
>
> Tested on QEMU: For Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server, the icons are missing
> in overview. When testing Gnome Maps from Flathub, the icon is shown. So,
> there is something that is missing on my side to show them in Phosh. Any
> tips? Works on Gnome Shell (desktop). Icons are missing for included
> calendar as well, for example.

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phosh/issues/38
https://source.puri.sm/snippets/80

So nothing to worry about if you provide a desktop file.

> # geoclue2: Access denied
>
> Tested on QEMU: When starting Pure Maps, I get permission denied for
> accessing positioning service:
>
> ```
> qt.positioning.geoclue2: Unable to start the client:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied" "'io.github.rinigus.PureMaps'
> disallowed, no agent for UID 1000"
> ```
>
> There was no interaction asking on whether to allow access for that
> application. On Gnome Shell, desktop, all works as it should.

Can you be more specific. Do you expect polkit authentiction? If so

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phosh/merge_requests/213

does fix the shell side but we need to fix

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phosh/issues/34

for this to work (it basically works if you launch the compositor from
the console when logging in instead of the systemd unit).

[..snip..]

> # Apps are running with Window decorations
>
> I would expect to have apps running without any window decorations. That
> holds for Gnome apps, as far as I can see. For QML, we are getting window
> decorations and, in console,
>
> "Using the 'xdg-shell' shell integration"
>
> While we cannot close apps in Phosh overview yet (
> https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phosh/issues/67), it would be still great to
> get rid of these decorations. In addition, there is a question regarding
> design - are we expected to have some kind of cross (X) to close apps? Or
> will there be some gesture / way to close them?
>
> As a side effect of having decorations, swipe from the left border moves
> the window. Again its only for non-Gnome apps, as far as I can see. This
> swipe could be used in the apps (Kirigami) to show menu.
>
> If showing window decorations is a bug, should I file it under Phosh?

This depends on your app. You need to provide more details. Are you
rendering via x11 or wayland? Is there a simple one line test case to
verify this (without installing pure maps)? By default all x11 surfaces
are decorated. You should be rendering via wayland when possible.

Cheers,
 -- Guido