[Librem-5-dev] early feedback: issues encountered while running maps applications

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 12:59:08 PDT 2019

Hi,

I am writing up results of testing Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server on QEMU
and Devkit (by David Boddie). This is to make sure that the issues we
encountered would not be lost and, hopefully, through filing them help to
polish L5 before launch.

All tests were done using Pure Maps and/or OSM Scout Server. To install on
Devkit, configure Flatpak to access Flathub, and run

```
flatpak install flathub io.github.rinigus.PureMaps
flatpak install flathub io.github.rinigus.OSMScoutServer
```

For running, use

```
flatpak run io.github.rinigus.PureMaps -platform wayland
flatpak run io.github.rinigus.OSMScoutServer -platform wayland
```

# Pure Maps does not run on Devkit

Looks like there are some rendering issues with running OpenGL-accelerated
maps application. Pure Maps shows the maps using Mapbox GL Native framework
which is tailored towards usage of hardware acceleration. Its developed for
Android, iOS, Qt (that's the one which is used). According to David, Pure
Maps did not crash, but nothing was displayed.

On QEMU, Pure Maps works, but is remarkably slow. On QEMU, I am frequently
getting rootston running 65% CPU with Pure Maps 35% while updating maps for
rather long period of time. Not sure what to make out of it.

I am not aware of any other app that would use OpenGL and that could be
used for testing.

Where should I file this issue? Can someone test on Devkit and confirm/deny
the issue?

# OSM Scout Server has disturbed fonts on Devkit

David posted me a screenshot with OSM Scout Server having strongly
disturbed chars in the text when running on Devkit. On QEMU, all runs as it
should. When testing other QML apps, we did not see any issues on Devkit.
What did had issues on QEMU was few absent fonts under Languages section.
In particular, looks like we miss Japanese, Korean, and Chinese (+ points
for having Sinhala). Maybe these absentees mixed up something on Devkit.

Owners of Devkit, maybe you could check out whether OSM Scout Server runs
and shows the text as it should. If its indeed an issue, then we should
probably file it.

# Apps missing icons in overview

Tested on QEMU: For Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server, the icons are missing
in overview. When testing Gnome Maps from Flathub, the icon is shown. So,
there is something that is missing on my side to show them in Phosh. Any
tips? Works on Gnome Shell (desktop). Icons are missing for included
calendar as well, for example.

# geoclue2: Access denied

Tested on QEMU: When starting Pure Maps, I get permission denied for
accessing positioning service:

```
qt.positioning.geoclue2: Unable to start the client:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied" "'io.github.rinigus.PureMaps'
disallowed, no agent for UID 1000"
```

There was no interaction asking on whether to allow access for that
application. On Gnome Shell, desktop, all works as it should.

# Apps are running with Window decorations

I would expect to have apps running without any window decorations. That
holds for Gnome apps, as far as I can see. For QML, we are getting window
decorations and, in console,

"Using the 'xdg-shell' shell integration"

While we cannot close apps in Phosh overview yet (
https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phosh/issues/67), it would be still great to
get rid of these decorations. In addition, there is a question regarding
design - are we expected to have some kind of cross (X) to close apps? Or
will there be some gesture / way to close them?

As a side effect of having decorations, swipe from the left border moves
the window. Again its only for non-Gnome apps, as far as I can see. This
swipe could be used in the apps (Kirigami) to show menu.

If showing window decorations is a bug, should I file it under Phosh?

Despite these issues, I can report that Pure Maps together with OSM Scout
Server were running correctly in terms of other functionality aspects wjen
using QEMU. I could download maps, use Pure Maps together with OSM Scout
Server for offline maps or use some online provider. Would be great to
ensure it works on the actual hardware as well. Then I can focus on design
aspects (adjust UX for all and L5/Gnome specifically) and functionality.

Cheers,

Rinigus

PS: Sorry for one more long post