[Librem-5-dev] applications using native debs

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 13:07:09 PDT 2019

Hi Heather, Hi List,

I have composed a set of repositories that should correspond to Debian
packaging as far as I understood.

Anyway, we have some issues, as reported by David, with running Pure Maps
on Devkit. In particular, the maps don't show up when using Pure Maps from
Flatpak. Maps do show up on QEMU image, though. Hence, there is a suspicion
on whether it is related to some hardware driver issue. For further
testing, it would be great to get Pure Maps dependencies compiled for
Devkit and simply available for anyone wishing to test further. Right now,
its simple to test with Flatpak, but I am not sure its easy to debug it in
this case.

In the respect of testing, it would be great to get

https://github.com/rinigus/deb-qmapboxgl
https://github.com/rinigus/deb-qml-module-mapboxmap

incorporated into the image.

Out of these, QMapboxGL has some background in terms of license. In
particular, one of the included 3rd party sources (rapidjson) had tests
originating from JSON.org covered by JSON license. In Qt version of the
library, that library is not used. Also, its mentioned in MapboxGL LICENSE
(originating section from rapidjson) that this license is related to the
test code only and if we don't use that, we can drop it. Right now,
MapboxGL plugin is not included in Debian due to JSON license (was assessed
in 2017, maybe it was different then or misinterpreted), large size, and
dependencies bundled with the code. Right now, when I asked and discussed
the state on Debian Qt KDE list, the license issue is not there anymore and
its mainly down to the absence of maintainer. Corresponding summary and the
issue are at https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=929842 , see
also links to mailing list messages in the bottom. I have also asked for
incorporation of MapboxGL as a part of QtLocation on PureOS (
https://tracker.pureos.net/T780).

QMapboxGL as packaged by me, is Qt branch of MapboxGL. Deb package is
currently based on the version that I use for Sailfish with my changes
applied on Sailfish (workarounds for Qt bugs on that platform) reversed to
pure Qt version. Now thinking about it, I should probably make a clean copy
of the upstream Qt branch and patch that. So, one more TODO in my list.  In
future, I plan to switch to the master branch since the Qt one is not
updated that well. In terms of time, we are talking about 1-2 months, but
maybe less. When that will be done, I will come up with a new package
scripts as well.

The second package - Mapbox GL QML bindings - is based on older code from
Mapbox, Qt plugin code, and my code developed to make it easy to build maps
applications using Mapbox GL. In practice it works well and has some
advantages when compared to official QtLocation plugin system.

Coming back to the test builds - ideally it would be great to have (at
least temporary) builds of qmapboxgl and qml-module-mapboxmap. In addition,
for permanent change, I would suggest to get Mapbox GL enabled in
QtLocation build. But that we can discuss in https://tracker.pureos.net/T780,
I guess.

If these additions are acceptable in terms of your policy, I will redo
QMapboxGL package using upstream code and will ping regarding the
inclusions.

Finally, if someone can check whether the debian/* are done as they
should...

Cheers and sorry for long email,

Rinigus