[Librem-5-dev] devkit powers on but won't boot

Eric Kuzmenko eric.kuzmenko at puri.sm
Tue Jul 2 09:04:53 PDT 2019

On 7/2/19 11:58 AM, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 14:10 -0400, Eric Kuzmenko via Librem-5-dev wrote:
>>

>> On 7/1/19 1:58 PM, Jeremiah C. Foster via Librem-5-dev wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm having some trouble with my devkit. It powers on (two lights behind
>>> the battery holder turn on) when plugged into my laptop via USB but
>>> doesn't boot. The 'boot mode' switch is set to eMMC and I've tested it
>>> on USB as well, there's no discernable difference.
>> Make sure you are using a USB 3.0 port to power it, a USB 2.0 port
>> will not provide enough power. If your USB 3.0 port doesn't work then
>> please use the wall wart we provided with the dev kit to make sure it
>> does actually boot up.
>
> The wall wart doesn't help sadly.
>

>>> The reboot light flashes when the reboot button is pressed but there is
>>> no change in the devkit. No haptic, no screen.
>>> Similar behavior with power from a battery except with the battery
>>> there is only one light lit.
>> If the battery meets the specs we've outlined on the silkscreen and
>> in the documentation, and it is reasonably charged (3.7V~4.2V) then
>> it should be able to power the board. I suspect that either the
>> battery you are using does not meet the specs or it is not charged.
>
> I have a fresh 3500 mAh NL1835HP that turns the devkit light on but
> still no boot. I also reflashed the device yesterday (see discussion
> in dev/librem5 on Riot.)
Based on what you wrote I doubt this is some power issue, it is more
likely that u-boot isn't pointing to the right location for the image as
Angus pointed out in his email

>>> I've found recently that one of the cables in the has come loose. I
>>> managed to reattach it using the image in the documentation, so I think
>>> it is connected corretly.
>>> I'm going to reflash to see if that has something to do with my issue,
>>> but that feels like a shot in the dark. If that doesn't work I guess I
>>> need to soder a UART debug header.
> I wonder if someone might recommend a good sodering iron kit for a n00b? Links to that and a UART header are most welcome.
You could pick one up at either radio shack or fry's. I personally don't
have mine soldered on, I just bent my pins so that they touch the
through hole when I stick the header in.