[Librem-5-dev] Maps software

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 00:12:44 PDT 2018

While duplication of matrix channel, I am making an announcement over here
as well.

New Pure Maps is released - version 1.8.0 - with the first support for
Linux desktop. For Linux desktop, flatpak package is provided. For
installation, download .flatpak at
https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/releases; install with flatpak install
pure-maps.flatpak . Consider it as a preview, now the polishing is needed
(qtcontrols 2 platform), review of L5 design principles and making a new
platform according to them. In the pipeline, new navigation UI is expected,
as suggested by one SFOS user. File issues, as usual, via Github.

Please note that the desktop version has not been optimized for desktop
usage. To get from here to L5 version, I would need to know L5 design
guidlines. Also, I am planning to review and change the main map screen
during navigation and without it. I am planning to open an issue for
discussion of the design at Github. This will allow us to join interested
parties from L5 and SFOS communities in the discussion of that part of GUI.

At present, Pure Maps works only as online client. As soon as I package OSM
Scout Server, the offline usage will be available as well. I will,
eventually, make DEBs too. Before that I am planning to review whether we
can use Qt-provided MapboxGL widget instead of mine MapboxGL-QML version.

Cheers,

Rinigus