[Librem-5-dev] Maps software

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 04:02:53 PDT 2018

> gnome-session tracks apps that register via the protocol and they can be
> restarted (see e.g. the settings daemons in /etc/xdg/autostart). This
> also works for user session "daemons". There's also DBus activation for
> things that don't need to be running all the time.
>
> Finally there's systemd system units for system daemons and user units
> for user level daemons. We try to avoid the later for the moment to have
> everything known to gnome-session. gnome-session will at some point
> switch to systemd units (I hope that's the right link, the site is
> currently unavailable):
>

> https://blogs.gnome.org/laney/2018/06/26/starting-sessions-with-systemd/

user-level daemon if what I use for OSM Scout Server autostart. Namely,
systemd socket activation allows to have all the clients access HTTP API in
a way that is independent on whether the service runs or not. User-level is
used to allow users stopping/starting as needed while downloading or
updating the maps, adjusting options (such as supported languages) and
such. How do you envision "avoiding" at this moment? Is it going to be
enforced or you are not actively promoting it?

As far as I can see my question regarding suspend/resume cycles is still
unanswered. I am talking about 5-300+ sec naps that CPU does on Android &
probably other devices. Do you plan to have it implemented on some level?
Or would it be responsibility of gnome-session?

Rinigus