[Librem-5-dev] Building and testing your own kernel

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Dec 28 14:49:31 PST 2018

On 28/12/2018 20:01, Andy Green via Librem-5-dev wrote:

> On 28/12/2018 19:48, Guido Günther wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 09:48:24AM +0100, Guido Günther wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> For changes to the official docs (which you're trying to push directly
>>> to when using the above URL) you want to fork the repo first
>>>
>>>       https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm/forks/new
>>>
>>> to get your own copy. If you then push changes to that repo on a branch
>>> different than master gitlab will show you an URL to create a merge
>>> request. More details are here:
>>>
>>>       https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/gitlab-basics/add-merge-request.html
>>>
>>> The upside is that the CI tests run on the MRs right away making sure
>>> the sphinx docs still build correctly.
>>
>> As Dorota pointed out to me you wanted to push to the wiki not the dev
>> docs repo. The URL there is
>>
>>      git at source.puri.sm:Librem5/developer.puri.sm.wiki.git
>>      ^^^
>
> Ah got it, thanks.
>
> I'll give this another go in the morning.

The wiki stuff is pretty opaque for casual use.  It ends well but there
are some hidden steps...

1) Initially you must git clone the wiki as it advises [1]

  $ git clone ssh://git@source.puri.sm:/Librem5/developer.puri.sm.wiki.git

2) Then you push it to your own account blind, like a manual fork
(because there is no fork UI for the wiki...)

$ git push ssh://git@source.puri.sm:/warmcat/developer.puri.sm.wiki.git

3) In your own account, this git repo does not have any UI footprint as
would a logical forked repo.  If you try to synthesize the appropriate
URL to see it like other git repos, it's a 404.

4) The trick is it has logically become "the wiki" on your account.
Click the wiki button on the left-hand vertical navigation bar on your
pages, it will go to:

https://source.puri.sm/your-account/developer.puri.sm/wikis

5) From here, since it's "your" wiki, you have extra buttons for "New
page", "Edit" etc, and you can edit and preview the markdown how you
like in the browser.

6) Since this is changing the remote git repo, editing in that way loses
sync with your local cloned copy.  But you can sync your local copy with
the changes made in the browser UI

$ git pull ssh://git@source.puri.sm:/your-account/developer.puri.sm.wiki.git

The end result is you can see my changes here

https://source.puri.sm/your-account/developer.puri.sm/wikis

I have also written up these steps there (and moved the information
about wiki style there off the main page).

-Andy

[1] https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm/wikis/git_access
[2] https://source.puri.sm/warmcat/developer.puri.sm.wiki/  and ...
.sm.wiki.git