[Librem-5-dev] queries with dev kit environment set up

Dorota Czaplejewicz dorota.czaplejewicz at puri.sm
Sat May 25 03:28:59 PDT 2019

Hi Dan,

I'll answer inline.

On Sat, 25 May 2019 17:38:04 +0930
Dan Kortschak via Librem-5-dev <librem-5-dev at lists.community.puri.sm> wrote:

> Apologies if this is not the correct place.
>
> I received my dev kit very late due to shipping oversights and have
> only just started being able to get the device set up.
>
> So far it is working, though there are discrepancies between what I'm
> seeing and the instructions at [1]. Both the serial connection and the
> ethernet conn communicate however:
>
> 1. With the serial, the docs say that root can login. This is not the
> case failing at username entry (I imagine this is a policy change).

There are two serials; I assume you're talking about the USB one, since that's where we're waiting for the correct policy upstream. Either way, if you're confused, that's an oversight, and thanks for mentioning it!

> 2. More significantly, while I can use the ethernet conn to see out, I
> cannot ssh into the device; the connection is closed by the host. The
> same thing happens ssh localhost from the device. I've looked at
> sshd_config and I don't see any difference between it there and on my
> laptop which is working fine. It's been a long time since I've manually
> set up a sshd so I'm a little lost as to what I'm missing.

There's an issue in that if the dev kit reboots early during the first boot after reflashing, ssh keys will not get generated. You can either:

- reflash and make sure the dev kit boots fully for the first time,
- or remove the keys in /etc/sshd (they should be empty anyway), restart and let it fully boot.

> Can someone point me in the right direction to sort this out?

Hope the above helps!

Cheers,
Dorota